Our History

monkimageTrinity Episcopal Church of Morgan City, founded in 1874, is one of the oldest “congregations of worship” in eastern Saint Mary Parish.
Originally a mission of the Louisiana Diocese of the Protestant Episcopal Church, and located in what was then the Town of Brashear, the church grew with the community. Dedicated members and generous benefactors sustained Trinity in its early years and enabled the growing congregation to weather the hardships of the Reconstruction Era, the terrors of yellow fever, and the more mundane crises which inevitably beset any struggling church in the small rural communities of that time. The congregation organized and maintained an active Sunday School during these years.
In 1876, the present church property was purchased for three hundred dollars, which had been raised through donations and “entertainments.” A year later, the Bishop of Louisiana encouraged the construction of a schoolhouse, which could also be used for divine services, on the property. The school proved to be particularly beneficial to the community since the public schools had been closed for lack of funds. At the turn of the century, the “shotgun” style building was moved a short distance to the church’s present location. A chancel was added, the interior and exterior were refinished, and the church was completely furnished. Native cypress lumber was used extensively with lasting results.
In 1911, the church was remodeled with old St. Andrew’s Church in New Orleans as the model for the renovation and the project was funded by generous contributions from Presbyterians, Roman Catholics, Methodists, and Jews as well as Episcopalians. A parish house was built in the late 1940’s. The rapid development of the offshore oil industry in the Morgan City area in the years following the Second World War enabled the church to expand and flourish.
In 1956, Trinity called its first resident priest, the Reverend James Douglass. The next year, Trinity Episcopal Church was proudly granted a charter by the Episcopal Diocese of Louisiana conferring long-desired parish status. In subsequent decades, further improvements and renovations were carried out in the church and the parish house, and the Albert Storm Memorial Rectory was built. Needlepoint cushions, kneelers, and stained glass memorial windows were installed in the church. In keeping with Trinity’s emphasis on tradition, a bell was placed in the belfry to call the faithful to worship.
Today, this historic church remains, as ever, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, The Episcopal Church, and The Anglican Communion.